Saturday, October 31, 2009

Does an upper labial frenectomy alter your upper lip shape even many years later when lips thin and droop?

The point of the frenectomy is to minimize the gap between two front teeth.
Answer:
As a dental hygienist of 15 years I don't think I have seen any problems with frenectomies causing alteration of upper lip shape. It is just a very thin tissue that they snip, so I find it unlikely. Though you are right in that lips will thin as you age, though mouth drooping or changing of facial shape is due to loss of teeth which often happens later in life.
Hope that helps,
JAMRDH - a dental hygienist
Since when do lips (on the face) thin and droop? My Mother died at 84 and had great lips, and my Grandmother at 93 and she had great lips also.I think you are mistaken.
A frenectomy is to cut away overgrowth of gum tissue between your front teeth, so it really wouldn't affect your lip shape. The frenum farther up you gums, by your lip is left intact.
I just had this procedure about 4 months ago. In my case, my lip area changes. It came down, like a venetian blind. I noticed it more than anyone else. The point of the frenectomoy is to prevent the teeth from re-developing a secondary gap. Is your mom getting braces?
Your frenum attachment is very strong and therefore causing pulling pressures against your 2 front teeth. The lips are very powerful, they actually stop outward movement of your teeth. Its not the frenum that makes the shape of your lips. The teeth actually are what make your lips retain their shape. If a person looses teeth, the lip line starts to droop. The frenum's just keep the lips and tongue from having too much freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Do you think © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net