Sunday, October 25, 2009

Do I need a root canal or is the dentist wrong? Please those with experience answer. Thanks?

Recently, I went to dentist for a checkup and cleaning. The dentist said that I need fill-ins on 4 sides of my teeth and on next visit, started on the top right first side. The dentist said that I may have to come back the next day if I felt like it was uneven for them to adjust .I felt like it was uneven when I left, but thought it may go away, so I left. The next day, I could not eat or close the right side of my mouth. It felt like there was a piece of something in between my top and bottom teeth. I went and the dentist adjusted it. A few days later, I had to come back because my tooth still felt uneven as if I could not close it all the way or when I bit down on the left side the right side would hit. The dentist adjusted it for the second time. A few days later, whenever I bit on this side, I started to feel pain and could not drink anything remotely cold or hot on the side. I went back to dentist who took fill in out and said I may need a root canal. Do u feel this is right?
Answer:
yes, after some work on the tooth, time must be given to let gums and trauma of fill in to wear off. After the tenderness from the fill in goes away, if there is still pain in that tooth, then a root canal may be necessary.
Sometimes if the decay is right on top of the nerve chamber, and it opens the slightest they can do a IPC (involuntary pulp cap) to seal the chamber. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. If you have pain and it worsened, you will need the RCT. It's hard to know without seeing your x-ray, but a normal filling can also be sensitive for a couple of weeks. If the tooth calms down with the medicated temporary fill (IRMA), give it a month-no pain have it refilled, but if you continue with pain and discomfort you will need a RCT.
Sometimes dentists just want to work on your teeth when you come in, so get a second opinion (costs about $50-70) but don't tell the other dentist what the 1st one said.One dentist told me I needed crowns and when I went to another dentist to get the crowns they told me that I didn't need them.Adjustments for fillings (too high, can't bite right) are normal. Give your teeth 2 weeks to settle and if the pain is still there then go back.
Well if you are still having pain after a filling there is something else wrong. There may be a little discomfort but there should be no real pain after a filling. I am surprised that the dentist did not realize this when taking your x-rays but that does happen sometimes. Normally they check that you are not "uneven" before you leave and take care of it then. I have had extensive dental work and many root canals (health problem caused trouble with teeth decaying) but of course am still no expert. I am sorry to say though that it does not sound as if you have a very good dentist. I have had fillings that may be "high" (makes you feel uneven because your bite if off) but the dentist always put some sort of paper in both sides of my mouth, had me bite down and grind and then checked it and was able to adjust the filling right then. I have had fillings, but never had to have a root canal right after. That said, it does sound as if your dentist is right though about you needing a root canal. Depending upon your insurance, I may consider going to another dentist if I were you for the root canal.Good luck to you. Tooth pain is so horrible.
you have to always get more then one opinion dentist for some reason always try to tell you that you need this and that just to get your insurance beware some are honest not too many

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Do you think © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net