Saturday, October 31, 2009

Does anyone have oral maxillofacial surgery to remove 2 impacted bottom wisdom tooth ..?

if yes .. how is the process ..?? is it using local or general
Answer:
If it is impossible to take out it will be general.open your mouth, stick your hand verticaly in .if you can only stick in 2 fingers then you have no choice but general .3 to 4 fingers then maybe local the bigger you can open your mouth the less painful it will be afterwards.all of us can give advice, and none would be the same. it depends on your jaw structure
they give u a choice, either be put to sleep or just numb the area. i had mine numb and watched the surgeon do the extraction.
the pain dont start til u get home and the numbness wears off.
make sure u have motrin , ice bottles, and teabags
I had it done. I didn't have true general anesthesia but I did have Novocaine and a strong relaxant. The surgery itself is no big deal at all. You won't even feel a thing. The next few days suck because you can't really eat real food and it is a pain in the *** but it is no big deal. Also the doctor usually prescribes prescription pain killers so its not a big deal to get to sleep.
it's using local anasthesia....if your dentist is skilled it will not take more than an hour...yes it's a minor surgery..
i got 4 teeth removed on the 18th of June including one lower wisdom tooth. it wasn't as terrible as I thought and they knocked me out (as requested) with a shot not gas. there's swelling which can be fixed with ibuprofen, and a little pain for the first 3-4 days (probably the most pain on the 2-3 days, but nothing totally unbearable). all in all for a sissy like me - I got a lot of good sleep and the pain was very manageable.
I did. I was put under for the removal of all 4 wisdom teeth. The impacted one had to be broken up into small pieces before it could be removed. The next day there was no swelling, bruising or pain.
I had all four of mine taken out under general anesthetic.Take my advice,use ibuprofen as well as normal painkillers or you will end up looking like a hamster. Don't drink from a straw and don't smoke(those actions can cause clots not to form properly)
I did. It was done under a general anaesthetic in the hospital, as they were going to take some effort to remove. My face was swollen for a day or two and basically looked much worse than it felt. The lack of pain once they were removed made a few days discomfort well worth it in the end.My advice is have it done and be rid of the problem.
I have had both my bottom wisdom teeth out as they were impacted and in fact eroding the root of the teeth in front!I had them done on separate occasions and both under a general on a day case. Depending on were the tooth lies on the nerve is what defines of you have to have a local or general.Believe me both my experiences were not pleasant and even though i did my best to keep things clean i still ended up with dry socket and spend the whole of last Christmas in agony.Sorry - to be the bearer of bad news! But this is only my experience - after the second one i then got a spasm in my jaw and had constant earache and kept falling over. They had to treat me with Valium which turned me from a bubbly and outspoken to shy and retiring and not even wanting to answer the front door never mind leave through it.I finally started feeling better after i had forked out hundreds of pounds for acupuncture!! Which worked - Hooray!!
I live in the US, and it is extremely common for people to get their wisdom teeth extracted before they even break the surface, so most people get it done between the ages of about 17 and 20 or 21. Usually, at some point a dentist will notice that they are starting to move, and recommend that they be extracted. I don't know anyone who hasn't had theirs removed, and I only know one person whose wisdom teeth were actually all the way through the surface when they were pulled. Also, when the extraction is done, it is most common for all four to be removed at the same time. The general feeling among dentists here is that it's just better to get them out before they start crowding other teeth or causing pain or problems.Some people go to dentists, but nearly everyone I know had theirs done by an oral surgeon. I also don't know anyone who had it done with a local anesthetic--everyone I know had a general. Since you have two impactions, I imagine it will be done with general, since impactions can take a while to remove.When I had mine done at 18, it was done by an oral surgeon, and under general anesthetic. He had given me Valium for the night before, and another for the morning of the surgery so that I could be calm. When I went in, he put an IV in my hand and started the general anesthetic, and I went to sleep immediately. During the surgery, he found that one of mine was impacted, and he had to use a drill to drill into it in several places. Then he used a tool like a chisel to break the tooth in half. After he had it in pieces, he had to work at it a bit to get it out. The entire procedure took about an hour--20 minutes for the three normal ones, and 40 for the impacted one. Including the time it took me to recover from the general anesthesia, the entire thing took about two hours.Different surgeons use different methods for removing impacted wisdom teeth. I have a friend and her surgeon's technique was to cut into the jaw and make an opening so he could get to the bottom of the impacted teeth and pry them up. She had a lot more pain, and it took her longer to heal because of that business of cutting into the bone. She is the only person I know of who had that done that way, though. Usually, as far as I know, the surgeon just works from the top, even if it simply means breaking the tooth and pulling out the pieces.The procedure and the process is very simple. You will be put to sleep, your surgeon will tug and pull and do whatever is necessary to get the impacted teeth out, and then you will wake up. You will have some pain, and may very well have some swelling, but usually they give prescription pain medication for pain management. The longest recovery I have ever heard of was a person who had all four impacted, and it took him a week to get back to feeling normal.Don't be nervous, and don't be scared. It is a fairly common procedure, and it sounds like you will be having it done by a surgeon. There is some discomfort as you heal, but most doctors are very good about giving strong medication for that. I did not have any swelling, but the people I know who did have told me ice packs help reduce that. You will probably feel tired and sore for a few days, but you will be back to normal in a short time.Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Do you think © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net