Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Does brushing with a dry toothbrush cause receding gums?

Lately I have been going over my teeth with a dry toothbrush first (it removes plaque better), then brushing again with toothpaste. But it seems that my gums have been receding! Can this be caused by the dry toothbrush (maybe water usually softens the brush)?
Answer:
Hey there! One of my friends works in a dental office and I can pretty much assure you that this is the cause! Many people make the mistake of brushing their teeth and gums too roughly thinking it will remove plaque and prevent cavities. Truth is ... if you brush too long and/or hard you can actually worsen the problem by wearing down the enamel on your teeth and/or receding the gums! Dentists everywhere now only recommend people brush with a SOFT toothbrush - never a medium or hard one. They can actually do damage. You must first floss and then brush for at least 2 minutes to protect you teeth. It is ESSENTIAL that you brush softly in a circular motion over all your teeth - front and back. When a dentists office did a demonstration for the kids at my school they spent 15 seconds per section (front and back) brushing in a circular motion. I also use the Listerine mouth wash before I floss and brush and this works wonders on plaque! Research has also shown it to remove way more tartar and plaque than flossing and brushing alone. I can assure you that if you visit the dentist at least twice a year, floss well (this is MOST important in taking care of your gums) and then brush - correctly - you will not need to worry about plaque problems for the most part and I would never "pre-brush" with a dry toothbrush ... it just isn't necessary and will do more harm than good in the long run. Of course some if it has to do with heredity also. but this advice should at least help! Best of luck to you! ;)
Absolutely! You should always soften your toothbrush with water before brushing. I have a problem with receding gums, even though I use a soft toothbrush. My dentist recommended that I hold my toothbrush with just my forefinger and thumb to keep from pushing too hard. It is better to do many light repetitions with a toothbrush that to brush hard for a shorter period of time. If youa re looking for a great way to eliminate plaque, find a toothpaste with tea tree oil in it at your local health food store. It works like a charm!
Yes, it causes receding gums
Receding gums is caused by bacteria in the mouth. to be able to combat receding gums you can find more useful information in this helpful site http://www.themouthdoctor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Do you think © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net